Hatfield Marine Science Center
Oregon State University's Hatfield Marine Science Center (HMSC) is a world-renowned research and teaching facility located in Newport, Oregon, 56 miles west of the Corvallis campus. The facility's location on the Yaquina Bay estuary, about one mile from the open waters of the Pacific Ocean, provides a gradient from marine to freshwater habitats. HMSC is adjacent to the Oregon Coast Aquarium and houses its own Visitors Center featuring live local specimens and research demonstrations.
This summer you can live and study on the Oregon Coast by taking classes offered through the Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport.
To find out more about the advantages of a summer at HMSC, read our interview with HMSC Academic Program Coordinator and Instructor Itchung Cheung.
2013 Summer Marine & Environmental Studies Program
Courses within the Summer Marine & Environmental Studies Program at HMSC are designed to provide students with extensive and intensive hands-on field study of organisms in their natural habitats, coupled with interactive classroom or 'hybrid' course formats, unless otherwise noted. This provides flexibility for students with limited time schedules (e.g., teachers and other professionals) with the added benefit of complete immersion into marine focused topics. Summer Session registration begins April 14, and the HMSC summer courses start on June 24.
All students pay OSU in-state tuition! Scholarships available!
Get your feet wet and your head fully immersed into Marine Biology with...
- BI 150 - Introduction to Marine Biology (4 credits/hybrid)
- Online: Jun 24 - Aug 23 (9-wks)
- Onsite: Aug 17 & 18 for a 2-day weekend lab at HMSC; housing included
Marine Ecology Focus (lecture & hybrid courses as noted)
- BI/FW 302 - Biology and Conservation of Marine Mammals (4 credits)
(Lecture: onsite at HMSC: Jun 24 - Jul 3)
- FW 499 - Lab: Field Methods in Marine Mammal Conservation (1 credit)
(Hybrid: online: Jun 24 - Jul 19 / onsite at HMSC: Jun 29 & 30)*
- FW 499 - Ecology of Marine and Estuarine Birds (4 credits)
(Hybrid: online: Jun 24 - Jul 19 / onsite at HMSC: Jul 8 - Jul 19)
* This is the laboratory component for BI/FW 302
Marine Science/Scientific Diving Focus (Jul 22 - Aug 16; onsite at HMSC)**
- GEO 365 - Intro. to Geographic Information Systems (4 credits)
Lecture: M/W/F (1-5p)
- IST 499/599 - Scientific Diving (4 credits)
Lecture: M/W (9a-12p) / Dive: T/R (9a-12p)
- OC 332 - Coastal Oceanography (3 credits)
Lecture: T/R (1-5p)
- Z 461 - Marine & Estuarine Invertebrate Zoology (4 credits)
Lecture: M/W/F (8a-12p)
** Note: confirmed offerings as of 04/30/13; should be fully listed in Schedule of Classes by 05/01/13. Please click course links above often for updates!
- Directed Independent Study
- Internships, Workshops and More!
- Inclusive: For community college students, first-year to graduate students, science and non-science majors, and professionals
- Integrative: Courses cross traditional disciplines
- Innovative: Unique courses not found at other marine labs
How do I register for classes on the coast?
Registering for classes on the coast follows the same steps as does registration for Corvallis campus classes. Review the Step-by-Step Instructions for registering.
Course schedule, housing & more information
Visit the HMSC summer website for a complete list of summer 2013 courses, detailed course descriptions, housing and scholarship information.
You may also contact the Center directly:
Hatfield Marine Science Center
2030 SE Marine Science Dr
Newport, OR 97365